Sunday, April 18, 2010

Geography and Me

Well, this blog project is due very soon. And as my final entry, I would like to share with you what I have learnt so far from my lectures and this project.

Firstly, let me tell you how I felt about Geography before. I hated it. So much so that I did not opt to do it in the last two years of Secondary school. At that point of time, I thought Geography had nothing to do with me. It was not interesting, there was no benefit in me learning it.

Boy, was I wrong.

Learning the subject ten years later showed me how important it is. It allowed me to understand many natural phenomenons such as earthquakes and the cause of it. Also reasons why some areas in the world are much more populated than others and the positive and negative (!!!) effects of tourism. And why us Asians live on rice while the British prefer the potatoes and why this has brought many tears to my eyes whenever we go back to the UK and I crave for rice and spice. Also how technology might have improved the quality of our lives at the same time, its detrimental effects on Earth.

And horrifyingly, how our actions affect the very planet we are living on.

Understanding all these give me an option and I am more conscious when making a choice. Now, we bring our own bags when doing grocery shopping. Does it matter that I look more like a domestic helper when carrying the bags on the way to the supermarket? Yes it matters a little to vain old me but knowing that I am doing my part, no matter how small it might be, to help save the world, it is worth being mistaken for a helper. Switching off the mains every night and recycling empty wine bottles and beer cans especially after a dinner party, have been adopted in my household. I try to buy recycleable products now even if it might cost slightly more. We get the refill bags for our household products instead of buying a new bottle.

Don't get me wrong - we are not perfect. We contribute to the greenhouse effect by driving a car but we try our best to do everything else we can.

Our efforts might seem little but if many others start becoming more aware and making an effort, I am sure we will make a difference. I believe it is knowledge that empowers one to take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment